Videocon’s DTH arm has partnered with Video-on-demand (VOD) service Hungama Play for content. With this partnership, content from Hungama Play app will now be integrated into Videocon D2H’s ‘HD Smart Connect’ Set Top Box (STB). Around 35,000 hours of video content from Hungama Live in 12 languages including movies, television series, kids shows, music videos, etc. will be made available on Videocon D2H.
This is Videocon’s third such partnership for content as it looks to compete with the growing VOD space.
– Last month the DTH company partnered with Sony LIV for integrating the app into its HD Smart Connect STB which includes content on genres like sports, TV shows, music, etc.
– In the same month, Videocon partnered with Netflix integrating the Netflix app on their direct-to-home services. Netflix app will be installed on the set-top box and the remote will have a dedicated button to launch the app.
DTH space seeing more investment
Note that Videocon’s content partnership comes at a time when the DTH segment has been seeing some investment from existing telecom companies as well. Recently, Airtel launched an Android TV-powered STB box along with 500 HD TV channels and WiFi. Airtel also partnered with Netflix for integrating the app straight into its STBs. At that time we pointed out that Airtel DTH will have an upper hand over its competitors since Airtel DTH users now have direct content access to Google Play app store. Apart from this, TataSky also offers Internet-enabled STBs but without an Android TV support. Jio is also expected to come out with its own set of DTH and IPTV services.
On the other hand, Videocon D2H does not support Android TV and simply runs a generic smart TV platform which is loaded into their STBs. Using this, subscribers can convert their existing LED/LCD TVs into smart TVs and also connect to the Internet using WiFi for browsing content. Videocon, however, has 650 TV channels on its DTH service, which is higher when compared to Airtel’s 500 TV channels.
Videocon signs merger deal with DishTV after scrapping IPO plans
In November last year, Dish TV and Videocon D2H announced a merger deal which involved combining both entity’s operations into a single entity. Once combined, Dish TV will own a majority of 55 percent stake, while Videocon will have the remaining 45 percent in the combined entity, called Dish TV Videocon Limited. Note that Videocon D2H-DishTV merger came after Videocon scrapped its IPO plans for a second time in April 2015, after scrapping a different proposal earlier in September 2014. It was looking to raise up to Rs 700 crore from that IPO. - Medianama